Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Follow Up on Back and Toes

First, fortunately for me, the nagging back pain I had has disappeared in as mysterious fashion as it appeared!   I have a twinge from time to time, especially when I've gotten all revved up at dance or walking then driven home.  When I get out of the car, I've cooled off TOO much, I guess, and the twinges occur.  But, that's it for now.  Good news!

I recently wrote about my painful toes.  So, here's more about that:

I finally got myself to an orthopedist who doesn't mind dealing with feet.  He had a completely different diagnosis than the podiatrist I had seen before.  No orthotics required.  He first explained that the problem is the condyles (smooth bone ends we might refer to as knuckles) of one toe rubbing over top of the neighboring toe, resulting in the corns, calluses, and pain.  The solution?  Well, he could operate and smooth off the condyles and after 7-10 days in a big fluffy shoe and a couple more weeks off walking and dancing the pain will be gone, never to return.  Or - I could try this little foam thing that he slipped between the offended - and offending - toes.  That has been working fine.  I still feel the foam spacer, but it doesn't hurt.  Another idea is a silicone sleeve for the toe(s) and I'll try that next as it might take up a little less space.

In both cases, I have continued to walk and dance.  I have tried changing shoes, socks, and duration of activity with mixed results.  I can't just stop my activities.  I'm not anxious to have surgery on my foot - and since it's my right foot, there would be the further inconvenience of my not being able to drive for 3-4 weeks.  That's actually far more than an inconvenience.  You'd see me walking in that fluffy boot - but I couldn't drive in it.  So, I'll stay with the more conservative option unless the situation worsens.



*************************** Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: