Thursday, September 1, 2011

SISTERS DO SWEAT!

I just got home from my weekly linedance class (or sliding as this group calls it) at the Memorial Methodist Church. Most of the women (and the few men) in the class are African-American of all ages - from women who look to be in their late twenties to us white hairs and grandpas. We have a blast! Chel teaches this group. She has a way of breaking down what initially look like daunting dances into 'bite-sized' piece that everyone picks up pretty quickly.

I dance with other groups too. I'm very much looking forward to the upcoming dance weekend at Studio 41 from September 9-11, 2011. The dances at Studio 41 are typically more traditional, incorporating the venerable country and western to the more recent song stylings of Adele. As an old song goes, 'You can't dance and be uptight.' That is so true.

I was pleased to see an article written in a local newspaper by the husband of one of our best Sliders, Peachaz Clark. Her husband, James Clark, is a regular columnist for the St. Louis Metro Evening Whirl and Vice President of Community Outreach for Better Family Life. But, he is NOT a linedancer. His article relates how he humored his wife by attending a local event packed with sliders. And, apparently, he was impressed with the participants and their willingness to sweat to the grooves.

Mr. Clark also writes in this article about the recent enormous popularity of Kick-Ball. That was news to me! I might have to find a team willing to accept my old, decrepit body! Clark indicates that there are over 80 teams in the St. Louis Metropolitan area alone and that the participants are very enthusiastic, training even at 7 Am in the dead of winter! This is devotion and they MUST be impressively good.

Mr. Clark's article spoke to some issues that I hear from many women. It takes such a short time to get all sweaty and a long time to 'repair the damage' so we can be presentable for work and other activities. Have you seen Oprah's show on Hair? I thought I was the only one who couldn't just walk off the dance floor and into work clothing without a long detour through the shower and blow dryer and curling iron routine! I'm White (as is my hair). This is not an area where my Black friends have the market cornered. It's a hassle for ALL of us!

That said, we must all find a way to make our hair and body routines compatible with an exercise regimen. For me, this involves getting a fairly expensive perm every 6-8 weeks so I can have 'wash and wear hair'. We must strike a balance so that we don't find too many excuses to remain on the sofa, glued to the TV, watching others shake their booties.

***************************Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: