Tuesday, October 6, 2009

WHY SHOULD I WALK??

Why should you walk? Because your body was designed for walking - you have TWO FEET AND TWO LEGS. Because it's good for your heart, lungs, blood pressure, blood flow, and MOST IMPORTANT, the way you'll feel.

Walk because it's free, easy, accessible. It even becomes fun.

Walk because you CAN. If you're sedentary, if you're unhappy, if you're between jobs, if your health is not great - if you don't walk, you're likely to lose the ability to.

Check out those scooter ads on TV. They are really necessary for some people. But, I've NEVER seen a patient (I work in a doctor's office attached to a very large hospital) who has gotten one of those darn things and went on to get rid of it and walk.

My own brother has a very damaged leg due to a car/motorcycle collision years ago. He has trouble walking and is always in pain. He wanted one of those scooters to get to his mailbox. My wise husband strongly advised my brother against getting the scooter. His advice went something like this, "If you get one of those things, pretty soon you won't be ABLE to walk to the mailbox."

There are plenty of people out there with health issues that make walking difficult or impossible. This message is not for those for whom walking is impossible. But, if walking is difficult for you today, imagine what it'll be like in a few months or years if you don't move your body now!

So, stepping off my soapbox and into my walking shoes, I leave you with this thought.

If you have feet and legs that work, get walking. It doesn't get any better than that. Just ask an amputee........


***************************
Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude.

No comments: