Tuesday, February 8, 2011

SLIP SLIDIN'

The weather in St. Louis has been cold and dangerous the past weeks. Some say it's the worst weather since 1982. In 1982, I had only one child, played racquetball every day, and had no idea that I'd ever need a knee replacement, have three kids, or care if the sidewalks were safe. Really!

But, three kids, two knee replacements, and many years later, racquetball has given way (begrudgingly) to walking and I feel completely justified in complaining about crummy St. Louis weather that keeps me hunkered down at home, unable to get to work or to the mall to walk or to the studio to dance.

Yesterday was the worst. Nothing was open. My husband and I stayed home together all day, unable to even agree on a household project to work on because we needed this or that from this place or that place to forge on. Those places required driving.

I took the opportunity of a snow day to call an old friend I knew would also be hunkered down with her two kids as she's a teacher and it was a snow day. She and I talked for about an hour, catching up on her tots and my grown kids. While I was chatting, I moved away from the room occupied by my husband so he could continue to heed the TV's endless warnings and 'breaking news' of bad weather. Really? Look out the window, dude.

I moved to another room which happened to contain my recumbent bike. After a few more minutes of chatting, I climbed on the bike and started to pedal (I wish away, but, no, just pedal). By the time our phone catch-up had concluded, I had ridden for a half hour!

So much for bad weather keeping me from my goal. It was really effortless. Just talk, listen, and pedal. I'll live to walk another day......




***************************Remember my 100% GUARANTEE. Should you decide to stop walking and resume your old habits, I personally guarantee that you'll get back 100% of your former life - your pain, your lifestyle, your attitude. You can trust the information you find here. It's from a dedicated walker. Trust me and your life will get better! I promise.

No comments: